Episode 5: I chat with Dr Luke Hughes a post-doctoral research fellow in applied physiology at St Marys university. Luke is an expert in Blood Flow Restriction training (BFR) and in this episode Luke provides a highly educational master class in all things BFR. Get your pen and paper ready!
In this episode with Luke we discuss:
- Lukes Background
- How he got interested or involved with using BFR
- The origins of BFR
- What is BFR & how does it work
- Can you combine mechanical stress and BFR related stress in the same session.
- What features should people look for when selecting a BFR system
- Why Dopplers are vital for regulating occlusion in real time
- What are the safety concerns to be considered prior to implementing BFR
- Screening for risk factors
- Can any clinician or coach with adequate reading apply BFR without specialist training or certifications?
- What is the guideline dosage prescribed (Pressure, Load, Reps and Sets)
- Can you transition from low load and high pressure to higher loads with lower loads
- How frequently can you apply BFR in a program
- Mixing BFR and Mechanical Load training within the same training microcycle
- Injury example of when BFR is particularly a must use tool – ACL
- Applying BFR in a passive cyclic manner surging acute recovery
- Combining BFR with Electrical Stimulation to achieve muscle strength and hypertrophy .
- Utilising BFR during bike based conditioning to achieve muscle hypertrophy and strength via aerobic exercise.
- How can BFR best be uses in a performance (non injured athletes) environment by strength coaches
- BFR as a training tool in sports with high volume and frequency of competition.
- Iscahemic Pre-Conditioning
- BFR for post competition recovery
- Where are the gaps in the BFR Literature
- Bone Metabolism
- Resources for BRF related information
For more information on Luke check the following links:
Don’t forget – TimTam recovery have partnered with Inform Performance for the launch of the show. We will be giving away a TimTam power-massager to listeners who:
- Subscribe to the show and send a screenshot the InformPerformance instagram page to prove this.
- Like the InformPerformance
- Instagram page.
A few weeks after the episode has been released we will at random select a subscriber who has completed the above steps to win the power massager!
In the mean time keep upto date with the podcast by following us on:
Andy McDonald (Host)