In episode 15 I speak to Dr. Christopher Dodson, M.D a board certified Sports Medicine surgeon and an Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University. He serves as Head Team Physician for the Philadelphia 76ers and is Head Orthopaedic Surgeon for the Philadelphia Eagles. In this episode we discuss his role as a surgeon/physician in pro sports, Injury trends, ACL and Shoulder Rehabilitation, consulting to teams across the leagues and much more.
In this episode we discuss:
- Dr Dodson Background, Education and Current Roles
- How does Dr Dodson splits his time between roles and teams
- How working in professional sport compliments his routine orthopaedic work and vice versa
- Upsurge of ACL injury prevalence and increases in ACL + concomitant injuries in 15-17 year old athletes.
- What trends or factors could explain the increased ACL injury prevalence
- What metrics do does Dr Dodson look at to understand and inform RTP in the shoulder for sport
- What Therapists can do to be more effective working alongside a surgeon in athlete care and rehab.
- The value for communicating with a surgeon to understand the individuals operation or how aggressive you can rehabilitate them
- Who leads the discussion or decision in determining the graft type or surgical approach for an athlete
- How sports Doctors or Dr Dodson works with teams in a non-operatively capacity
- Dr Dodson role within player transactions and medical screening before signing
- How Dr Dodson approaches risk appraisal and communicating it to staff when signing a player in relation to their injury history.
- How has technology informed the process of apprising risk in player signings / RTP from a surgical perspective.
- The value of using Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) training.
- Navigating the decision between PT and Surgeons on RTP timeframes
- How Dr Dodson provides consultancy to other teams and leagues.
Where you can find Dr Christopher Dodson
Follow the Inform Performance Podcast
Andy McDonald (Host)